Summer Reading Book round-up

Thursday, July 7



So, i'm a sucker for books. There is nothing better than finding a comfy spot, having extended time, and finding yourself with a darn good book. Oh the joy of cracking those pages open.

Last week my entire family crammed into a house on the beach in Santa Cruz (you can see here), and I found myself with loads of time and heaps of warm sand to sprawl out on and get a nice tan while I read, ha! But really, it was heavenly.

Here are a few books i've been reading this summer:

Winter Garden by Kristen Hannah: Ok, so one of my favorite fiction books is Kristen Hannah's The Nightingale (go read it now!). I thought i'd give another one of her books a try. Since i'm a historical fiction fan, this one appealed to me as it took place in modern day Oregon and in Russian during WWII. I know next to nothing of what happened in Russia during WWII so this was super eye opening and an over all interesting read. I think I finished it in 2 days, ha!

The Whole Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive by Daniel Siegel & Tina Payne Bryson: Ok, so this is NOT a mindless fiction book. It's actually a non-fiction book that talks all about the brain science behind raising healthy kids. It's incredibly fascinating, and is blowing my mind with the research on the right and left brain and their functions. While it's authored by neuroscientist and MD Dan Siegal (i.e.: superhuman smart!), it's written with the parent in mind and gives some great suggestions on how to access both sides of the brain. As a therapist, i'm loving it!

Any book by Kate Morton: If you've hung around here long enough you know she's one of my favorite authors. All her books are page tuners and have great twists at the end (which I can NEVER guess!). Her most recent is The Lake House and i'd absolutely recommend it if you need a good beach read!

The Calvary Road by Ray Hession: Ok, so this is another non-fiction book that has become one of my all-time favorites. It's itty bitty, but packs a punch with flipping my Christian walk upside down and bringing me back to the profound basics of how to walk with Christ and in community with others. If you've ever had conflict (or are in the midst of some relational conflict) this book is super helpful!

Bread & Wine by Shauna Neiquist: I started reading this book when it was super popular a few years ago, and somehow I lost it on an international trip at the airport. My mom just gave it to me again in my Easter basket this year, and I've been having fun reading and cooking from it. The author's husband is gluten free, so it's packed with all sorts of dishes I can actually eat (hoorah!!). This is such a fun and easy read, especially if you love to experiment in the kitchen (I make the blueberry crisp recipe a few times a month...it's so easy and a crowd pleaser!)

Ok, a few I have on my list are: 
The Little Paris Bookshop
The Summer Before the War
A Man Called Ove

A few other favorite reads (from summers past) have been:
The Boys in the Boat
All the Light we Cannot See
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Memoirs of a Geisha
1776
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Book Thief
Unbroken
A Thousand Splendid Suns & The Kite Runner
Harry Potter (all 7 of them!)

I'm sure you are starting to see that i'm sorta kinda into historical fiction, haha, whoops! Convince me there's a good book out there not in this genre, and i'll give it a try!!

Any good book suggestions I should buy and take with me to Tahiti??  I would love your recommendations! 
Ingredient of the Month - 20% Off

No comments :

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you friend:) Your comment will make my day!